Sea bass nigiri sushi
- 2 sushi-grade large sea bass fillets, skin off (choose fillets from a 1kg sea bass which will make for 400gr fillet)
- 2 cups Japanese sushi rice
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- wasabi paste
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- Wash the rice well, until the water is clear and drain. Place rice into a saucepan with 2 cups cold water and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Place the saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let rest for 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan mix the vinegar with the sugar and salt over medium heat, until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once the rice is cooked, spread out on a tray and gradually stir in the vinegar mixture and help cool the rice by turning it over from time to time with a rice paddle.
- When the rice has cooled to room temperature, start making the sushi pods using slightly wet hands. You may want to rinse your hands in a mix of water and sushi vinegar in between pod making.
- To slice the fish use a sharp knife and cut against the grain of the fish at an angle of 45°. Clean the knife after cutting each slice.
- Add a little wasabi to the underside of the topping and press the topping onto the pod firmly.
Serve with a little wasabi paste (optional) and a dish of soy sauce.